Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Flash

Was testing out Ubuntu 10.04. Everything went fine until I came across some flash sites. It redirected me to Adobe's site but there's 3 options. So went to youtube for answers and:


LOL. I need flash to watch a flash video on how to install flash to watch flash videos.

Overall found Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) to be great to use, if you're into those kind of things. Why I won't be switching to Ubuntu:

1) My photography workflow is severely affected. Ubuntu can't load LR or even DPP with WINE without crashing/bugs. The other Linux-friendly software just not suited for me. GIMP is too bloated, RawTherapee is ok but the crop tool is bugging me.

2) Installing stuff is a pain in the ass. Flash alone has 3 options with different extensions (diff versions of Linux). I forgot which one I downloaded but it was a guess.

3) WiFi keeps getting dropped every few minutes. Wierd enough when I first tested the live CD WiFi was perfect. Problem only came up after I installed it in a HDD.

Why i'm considering switching:

1) blazing fast boot up speed.

2) doesn't feel as bloated as windows.

3) works out of the box w/o me installing any driver (of coz for GPU optimisation you need to install the GPU driver, or not you'll get choppy youtube)

4) using USB with Linux is so easy. With windows you need to try 3 thousand times before you give up and pull it off the port. With Linux, the first try ALWAYS unmounts the USB device successfully.

5) No virus threats. Yes, it's weird at first but no AV is needed for Linux.

6) Learning the linux programming language makes you look cool.

Go download the ISO, create a live-CD USB using the tutorial there and try for yourself.
=============================

No comments: