Saturday, January 12, 2008

My first job

LOL tot for a while about wut title to put. Since this post IS going to be about my first job, so it shall be the title of the day.

First things first, LOL dudes if wanna find me when I'm working, walk along the corridor of KFC and you shall find me. 1.30 is no good, lunch time. 6.30 also no good, dinner break. Anytime in b/w, very good. But must buy la, or at least reload la...

So here goes...

Started on Monday, woke up at 8.30, got on the bus at 10 and reached there at 10.15. Looked for Jason and talk a bit b4 his boss arrived. Den i waited beside my stall for my boss la. 10.30 started to wait. Hrmm... Ok loh get The Sun and read for a while loh. Around 10.45. Shiat going to start work already, start to get nervous liao. 11 liao. Get ready. Mana tau 11.10 boss also not yet come. I thought maybe that day off day? Damn... But then 10 minutes later they all arrived and I start to work liao lo. Basic only la the operation. Arrange the things there and prepare the booth. Den wait for customer loh... My colleague taught me about the precautions while operating a stall loh, like how to prevent certain stuff from happening, well, you get the idea.

Den from Day 1 onwards is a steep learning curve. So much to learn in so little time. There's practically no time to have 'training' as you're running a business here. Sales no good, you kena. The target sales for the day (i guess it's the same for all other jobs) is that you can compensate your own basic salary plus the rental for the day. It's not as easy as you think ya noe. 3 out of the 5 days I worked were under par. Here's where the pressure comes in. There're peak hours to look out for. When you make no business during the last peak hour, you're dead...

I also realised that there're this element of consumer psychology involved, a lot of it. Basically you're studying consumer psychology while working here. There're 'signals' to look out for whether a certain customer is valuable of your entertaining time or not. And different ppl give out different signals. Time plays an important role here coz if a customer is taking too much time but not buying, you might lose potential buyers that were waiting for you while you entertain the previous one. I'm not at that level yet la, but I'm still learning.

When I thought that my sales weren't good, I was introduced to another colleague. He's working at another booth, juz nearby. He started work a week b4 me. He told me that his first day itself he sold 5 phones. And it kept increasing since day 1. He wasn't juz BS-ing as he showed me the receipt book. Damn this is another pressure source. If the front stall is making sales while you're not, you have a big problem.

So dudes if you're gonna tell me that my job is easy queezy wit no pressure and pathetic, why not you come and take my job and try it for a week. Diff jobs have diff demands, and I sure have picked the wrong one to start my working experience as I have no marketing experience beforehand whatsoever. Jobs at stalls are wayyy different from jobs a fixed shoplot. At a shop, customers come to you wit a definite desire to buy from you. At stalls, they can come, take 1 hour of your time, and leave wit "think about it first". It's not easy to secure a sale wit a customer when working at a stall you noe. Yea yea "resign la idiot" or "work at another place la idiot", right? Thought of it, but neh, I'll get through it.

Working a 6 day week, resting on Mondays. I think one of the interesting things about this job is that you get to meet different ppl. Met ppl from Mauritius, England, and of coz all the foreign workers that are having a slice of the economical pie of our country. Best of all, right in front of my stall is this shop that has leng luis working in it. To be exact, only 2 is nice to my eyes la. LOL play the staring game wit them even though have yet to say a word to any of them (yes I noe pathetic, but you have to find fun in something you're doing, right? 苦中作乐 ma...). There's also this never-ending supply of eye candies walking pass everyday. LOL.

Taking this job also makes me miss my schooling life (that's 4 words starting wit 'm' consecutively. Cool...). Every single part of it. The studying, the friends, the activities, the conflicts etc. I find a lot of pleasure when seeing friends coming to my stall and have a chat or two. Seriously it's that badly I miss skool life.

Sry no photos this week coz good employee ma :-P. I guess I can get a few by the next update, which is going to be in 7 days time. Until next time, adios!

P/s: Oih, keep the comments coming la...
=============================

1 comment:

Bites of me~ =D said...

hahaha~ next time must visit u more often liao lor! hor ? =P miss you!!! next time i go, buy something for u to makan =)