Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Espresso, Latte, Mocha, Yukon, Sumatra, Macchiato...

This is one of the few occasions that I actually took some time out to read a book. In fact this is the first time I've actually read a book that tells a story. The last time was The Da Vinci Code, and it wasn't even a real book, it was an ebook I DL-ed.

Since this is one of those rare occasions, yup, I'm blogging about it. Chui ah?

Initially read about this book in The Star the other day. It got reviewed and the review was quite interesting. And so I looked for this book la. Finally found it in Popular Sunway.


'How Starbucks Saved My Life' is another underdog-being-on-top story. Something like Kung Fu Panda, just less epic. It's a memoir about how this man who got fired from a big ad company and lost everything, found a new life in being a Starbucks Partner. Yea, Partners, that's wut they call employees over in Starbucks, with the capital P. Mike started off with the cleaning job, and slowly got involved into the more Starbucks stuff.

I'm bad in re-tellin stories, so here's wut I like about the book. It's sort of a storybook, but it ain't fiction. It's being told in a first person point of view, and he keeps having these flashbacks in the course of the story. Sort of tell his story within a story la. There's also a lot of reference to coffee, so it's like gettin to know a bit about coffee along the way. The story itself was also interesting, with a number of incidents happening, like at one point Mike nearly got fired...

Hrmm... Took me 4 days to finish reading this 270-page book. Yup, I'm a slow reader. I wonder how those Harry Potter fanatics manage to finish one whole book of it under a day or two.

I'm not promoting, juz blogging. I think Tom Hanks is working on the movie version of the book. Is he really into turning books into films? I still remembered Tom Hanks starring in The Da Vinci Code movie. Hope it doesn't turn out bad...

=============================

1 comment:

superduperhairi ;) said...

Yeah from that picture,I am positive tht the book I was mentioning is exist LOL!