Sunday, August 31, 2008

A taste of my own skills!

Been thinking making a meal for myself out of scratch for quite some time already. So this time round since parents away at hometown, I'll be taking care of my stomach my own. And I've been planning this for quite some time already...

Wanted to make a burger/sandwich thing. I'll make it with beef patties, made from scratch (of coz of minced meat to save some time). I'll mix some onions and cheese into the mix and the patty will be oh so juicy. I'll use a baguette as the bun and have some leafy veggie in b/w. Maybe extra cheese?

This is the rough idea. Mine's (supposedly) juicier.

I decided not to watch the National Day parade. Sheesh nothing special one la... Watch so many years already... And the National Day mood is kinda down coz, you noe, somebody lost popularity but still hanging on to the seat. So anyway, started the car and off I went.

Tesco is the last place I wanted to go alone (ok maybe not last but def not on top of the list). Everytime my mom asked me to go along I never did. Today is a special day. I had to go to Tesco for the sutff. And so I parked the car and went in.

As soon as I got the trolly and went into the supermarket, I knew I picked the wrong day to come. PEOPLE!! AUNTIES! MAK CIKS!! PAK CIKS!! Damn uncles are the most ridiculous. They push the trolly slowly, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE LANE, with their aunty slowly walkin in front. DAMN LAAAA. Then there're the independent aunties. Now I know where the aunties learnt their infamous driving skills. IN THE HYPERMARKET! No joke. They push the trolly into you even when they know there is hardly any space for the trolly to go. Some "slow" ones will push the trolly slowly and the bunch of people behind her will be cursing their heads off. THEY FCKIN DOMINATE!!

So I got the baguette. Then to the meat place. Damn no minced beef? I came here for minced beef and now no minced beef? NVM I'll improvise. Looked around. Hrmm... Chicken fillets would work fine. I'll be making fillet sandwiches then. Then I got to the veggie dept. That's where the congestion wit the aunties happened. Looked around. Damn no mood find for leafy veggies ah. Cabut only la... Then remembered the shops near my house has veggies. LOL fckin weird holding a baguette and a packet of chicken fillets lining up at the cashier. Got to the grocery shops, coundn't find veggies, so only got myself a red onion (yes, "a", one only. It's 20 sen) (do you call them shallots? Or they are the big version of shallots?)

There! My ingredients for my first burger/sandwich. Quite sad la coz no veggies... And no environmental burden! I brought my own plastic bags!

So I cleaned the fillets first la. Helped my mom once so I kind of knew that I have to clean the white nerve/ligament/ thingy. Damn mahfan ler the thing so tough to clear...

Marinated the fillets wit some honey, soy sauce and pepper. I dunno where I got that idea from.

Chopped them onions up.

Sauteed 'em. (yes the spoon thing. Mom uses the same thing. Couldn't find the 'righter' one)

Sauteed the fillets.

And done!

The onions are well browned (I guess). It's sweet! I rested the fillets on top of the onions and the juiced dripped onto the onions. Ooo...

I insisted that I do not over-cook the meat coz that's what people do. Oh damn it's so succulent!

I guess this is the only way to eat it la. If got veggies sure would taste better... Didn't bother to toast the baguette.

The nicer-browned one. This one is nice!

And I still have some uncooked fillets in the fridge. This meal costs less than Rm10, and there's still half a baguette left! I bet it'll cost a bit more wit the veggies. I'll leave it for next time, so I'll have an excuse to make it again :-P

I'm bored of eating takeaways almost all the time. I'm makin my food next time. Hrm should've went to Jusco instead... I'm more familiar wit the supermarket there...
=============================

No comments: