Saturday, December 22, 2007

Education Dilemma

I think I've never mentioned the education struggle I'm having now. Looks like it's time to dedicate a post to it.

After the grace period after SPM, I started my so called research on my pre-U options. Since it was still in early stage, the cost was not in consideration. The American Degree Transfer Program sounds attractive as you get to complete your degree 4 years after SPM. It's offered by several private colleges here.

But den when it comes to practicality, going to US juz to get a degree is really costly. And risky too if you wanna change your mind in the middle of it. So I decided that since I'm interested in psychology, why not take the Foundation in Science at HELP? It's a one year course and continues wit a 3 year psy degree course. Not bad huh?

Den I thought, wut if I wanna explore other fields as well? The foundation cert will be kinda wasted loh like that... So I thought of A levels. A levels is attractive. You get to apply for foreign universities and their scholarships as well. It's something like STPM but some say that it's easier to pass than STPM. Cool huh?

But then after chattin wit my dad, I thought, why not open up the opportunities? If I can do well in STPM, I might get offered a place in the local universities. If I can't (or the desired course is not given), then I have an option to do my degree overseas or private. If I do A levels, my only pathway would be a private or foreign university. And my research showed that STPM is in fact accepted in most foreign universities, only a few giving a 'guaranteed entry' privilege to A levels while STPM has to compete with ppl from other countries like the Hong Kong and India 12th year education. Top Unis like Oxford, Harvard and Cambridge give equal opportunites to both A levels students and STPM students. They only want AAA. Only prob is wut if getting AAA in STPM is tougher than in A levels? Hrmm...

I also thought that if I was to put in an equal amount of effort (let's assume both are of same difficulty/standard), why pay for it? I can use the same money (add a bit more la, of coz) and do a degree in case the local uni doesn't accept, right? If the local does accept, I can use it to do a masters in a foreign country, right? I dun see the point of locking out yourself an option of local universities. Afterall, a degree is still a degree, right? My dad said that in terms of salary a fresh graduate will get a fixed amount, regardless of where you got the degree from. Some might argue that a foreign graduate might have an advantage coz of the brand name of the degree, that might be true but again, it's down to how you present yourself in an interview that matters.
And I dun think professionals need to go thru interview. When you're good, they will come for you, right? Most professionals are being 'booked' while in 2nd or 3rd year of their course.

So now my plan is to wait for the SPM results to come out. If I'm accepted into Form 6, den I will do Form 6. But if I'm not, I dun mind doing A levels for march intake.

=============================

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just know I'm gonna bitch here

Grads from top foreign universities are recruited even before they end their courses. Specially for universities such as Cambridge and what not.

I doubt local grads get the same treatment.

And honestly, your not opening up your options very wide here. Your sacrificing preference in foreign universities to open your options to LOCAL universities. Chances are, you won't get offered the course you want, which is seriously ghay.

And yes. Universities do accept STPM, only because its the highest education offered by the Malaysian Government in Malaysia. According to my bro (who has done fuck loads of research, seriously), even though they accept it, A levels still does have its advantages.

*Honestly, no point going for public universities in Malaysia. Hopeless, and good luck in trying to get the course you want. Your going to need a LOT of it.

*Pft, spending bout 9000 for a golden ticket worldwide is definitely something to be wasted.

You already know who I am.
*sorry, but I am pissed off. If you chose STPM cause of reasonable reasons, no problem. But its cause of these reasons I'm pissed. And its because your my friend that I care. Fuck you.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, last thing.

I hope I'm wrong bout STPM.

If not, you're majorly fucked compared to A levels.

Anonymous said...

Pft, forget all I said. I'm damn interested in knowing whats the difference between those 2 courses, and until I find proper facts that have evidence, compared to what I've been hearing from my family, I would prefer not to discuss bout this.

I'll find all I can bout these 2 , cause honestly, I'm really interested in these sort of stuff.

Cheers dude!

Anonymous said...

wow. nice blog.

so how's ur result?

anyway. i totally agree with you.
well. I did thought of doing a levels as it sounds more prestigious than stpm... well.. it would sound better if you say :

"Oh, I am currently doing my A Levels studies at XXX college/university"

rather than

"Oh, I am currently doing STPM(AS-TEE-PEE-EM) at Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan XXX"

besides sounding less attractive, it's harder too.. ><

but one main reason that everyone must consider is the money. After all, you still get the same recognition. But if you choose form6, you get to save a lot of money enough to buy yourself a car (at least a kancil..)

haiz. besides being too hard, the course takes up to 2 years.. a little time consuming.. and you have to decide whether to take physics or biology (which is driving me mad... i am not smart enough for physics, n yet I have really poor memory for biology..).

so.
let time tells.

^_^